This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclaimer here.
Want a camping dessert that’s really easy and delicious? Look no further than these Summer Berry Pound Cake Foil Packets! This camping dessert is so simple. It uses pound cake (either store-bought or homemade), fresh summer berries, brown sugar, and butter to create such a beautiful and tasty dessert that’s cooked over the campfire. Let’s dive into the recipe!
What are foil packets?
Foil packets, sometimes called hobo packets, are simply just a combination of food that’s wrapped up in foil and cooked over campfire coals.
- are easy and quick to prepare
- require minimal gear
- are so delicious
- have minimal cleanup (who wants to clean a lot of dishes while camping)
- are great for campers new to campfire cooking
You’re going to love how easy and fun they are!
Berry Pound Cake Foil Packet Ingredients
For this foil packet dessert you’ll need:
- Fresh berries – You can use any combination of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries! If using strawberries, dice them into smaller pieces.
- Pound Cake – You can use homemade or store-bought pound cake for this recipe. This is my go-to pound cake recipe if you want to make your own. You can also try using different flavored pound cakes. For example, I think a lemon pound cake would be so good in this recipe!
- Brown sugar & butter – We add a little brown sugar and butter to this foil packet for a deeper flavor that mixes well with the berries.
- Sliced almonds – Lastly, after the foil packets are cooked, we top them with a handful of sliced almonds for a nice crunch.
Foil Packets Assembly and Cooking Tips
Making Foil Packets
- For these foil packets, you’ll use at least 2 layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil and a piece of parchment paper.
- You’ll assemble the foil packets on the parchment paper and then wrap them up in 2-3 layers of aluminum foil.
- We do multiple layers of aluminum foil because when cooking the packets on the coals, you don’t want them to spill open as you’re flipping them.
- Multiple layers also help keep the steam inside and prevent your dessert from burning.
- To fold the packets, bring the two longest edges towards each other and roll them together to create a seal. Then, fold in the sides. Place the packet seam side down on the next piece of foil, and repeat the same folding process.
Cooking Foil Packets
- You cook foil packets on campfire coals, not flames. Cooking on flames would be too hot and likely burn your food. It’s also a lot harder to move and flip your foil packets when they’re in the flames.
- Instead, start a fire and let the fire burn down for a while until you have a nice bed of coals to work with. Then place your foil packets on top of that.
- Cooking times will vary based on how big you make your foil packets and how hot your coals are. When in doubt, air on the side if less cooking time.
Berry Pound Cake Foil Packets
- 1 cup mixed berries any combo of strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
- 4 1-inch slices of pound cake
- 2-4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter sliced into smaller cubes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- If using strawberries, dice them into smaller pieces. Cut the pound cake into large cubes.
- Layer 2-3 pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil on your table followed by a piece of parchment paper.
- On the parchment paper, add the pound cake. Sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp of brown sugar followed by 1 tbsp of butter cut into smaller cubes.
- Layer the berries on top and fold the foil packets.*
- Repeat this assembly for the second foil packet.
- Place the packets on top of campfire coals (not flames). Cook over campfire coals for 10-15 minutes, flipping the packets every 5 minutes.**
- Remove from the heat, carefully unwrap the foil packets, and top with sliced almonds. Serve warm.
More Foil Packet Desserts for Camping
Want even more camping desserts? You’re in the right place!
If you want another dessert using strawberries, definitely check out my grilled strawberry shortcake!
Below you’ll find even more reader favorites:
Get more recipes and helpful meal planning tips in my free Camp Cooking Starter Kit below:
get my free
Camp Cooking Starter Kit
Printable camping recipes, a gear checklist, and a camping meal planner so you can go camping with confidence and good food!