This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclaimer here.
It’s officially Summer, which means lots of camping, hiking, BBQ’s, and s’mores are in our future! These chicken fajitas are SO simple, and definitely a crowd pleaser. Honestly, this might be my new favorite camp dinner!
This camping dinner is:
- easy and quick to prepare
- full of flavor thanks to a pre-made simmer sauce
- super filling after a day in the sun or on the trails
Preparing camp dinners doesn’t have to be a chore.
With this camping dinner idea, you can relax, enjoy the campfire, and eat great food with awesome people – it doesn’t get any better than that.
Grilled Chicken Fajita Ingredients:
My favorite way to cook chicken is over a grill. You get that delicious browning from the campfire on the outside that seals in all the moisture on the inside. What you’re left with is a perfectly juicy and flavorful chicken breast for the fajitas.
2) Pre-made Simmer Sauce
This pre-made simmer sauce is the time-saving star of this meal. Not only does it taste delicious, but it also makes this meal so easy. This Simply Organic Fajita Simmer Sauce is my current favorite.
Onion and bell peppers go perfectly with the chicken in these classic chicken fajitas. Pre-slice the veggies at home to save a step at camp if you’re going to use them within a day.
Camp Kitchen Gear Spotlight:
Not much is needed for this easy camping dinner. If you’re going to a campground that has a fire pit and a grate the grill on that’s perfect!
If not, make sure to bring your own portable camping grill grate like this one.
The other main piece of gear you’ll need is a cast iron pan to saute the veggies and mix everything with the simmer sauce.
I use an antique Griswold cast iron pan that’s about 100 years old! But this one by Lodge is affordable and will definitely get the job done!
Lastly, I use my Camp Chef Everest stove for the final stages of cooking, although, you can cook this entire meal over the campfire with a cast iron pan. If you choose to do that, don’t forget the fire gloves to protect your hands from the heat.
RELATED >> Car Camping Kitchen Essentials
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño optional
- 2 Tbsp oil or butter
- 1 packet of Simply Organic Fajita Simmer Sauce
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 lime optional
Grill the Chicken:
- Grill the chicken on a campfire grill grate over coals from the fire, or heated briquets. Grill the chicken on each side until fully cooked and the internal temperature reaches 165°F. This usually takes about 10 minutes on each side, but cook time will vary depending on the size of your chicken breasts and how hot your coals are.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before you slice it. In the meantime, get the veggies ready.
Cook the Veggies:
- Heat a cast-iron pan on a camp stove over medium heat. Slice the peppers, onion, and jalapeño (if using) into thin strips.
- Add the oil and the sliced veggies to the pan. Saute for about 6 minutes until the veggies have slightly softened, mixing occasionally.
- Once the chicken is cooked, slice it into thin strips.
- Add the chicken to the pan with the veggies. Add in the simmer sauce.
- Mix well until all the chicken and veggies are coated. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Heat tortillas on the grill for about 30 seconds each side.
- Scoop some of the fajitas onto a tortilla.
- Serve immediately with a fresh squeeze of lime!
- Serving size depends on how hungry you and your fellow campers are! This recipe makes about 6 fajitas, so you might need to scale it up depending on your group size.
- To make this meal even easier at camp, you can pre-cook the chicken at home and pre-slice the peppers and onions. Store everything in airtight containers in the cooler for up to 1 day ahead.
More Camping Dinner Ideas:
- How to Make Campfire Nachos in the Dutch Oven
- How to Make Foil Packets for Camping
- Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Kabobs
I hope you get to try these simple grilled chicken fajitas and some of the other camping food ideas linked above! They’re all so delicious, and will easily feed a large group of campers.