This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclaimer here.
This easy camping dinner is loaded with protein, quick to make, and cooked over the campfire! If you enjoy cooking over an open flame and making a fresh flavorful meal for you and your fellow campers, this one’s bound to become a favorite.
I love this dinner so much that I even make it regularly at home anytime I see flank steak on sale. Let’s get started!
Camp Kitchen Gear Highlight:
Cast Iron Skillet
We use a grill grate over the fire to cook this entire meal! The steak is cooked directly on the grill and the veggies are cooked in the cast iron skillet on the grill grate.
This one is great because it’s small and portable.
>> See my complete list of camping kitchen gear for more details!
Steak Fajita Ingredients:
- Flank steak – flank steak is thin, quick to cook, and easy to slice for these fajitas
- Green and red bell peppers – these taste so good once cooked over the fire. They get a little charred but still retain a slight bite.
- Yellow or red onion – adds a little sweetness to the fajitas
- Olive oil – used in the steak marinade and to coat the veggies.
- Fajita seasoning – this recipe uses a fajita seasoning packet to keep things simple, that way you don’t need to pack a bunch of spices to camp.
- Lime – used in the steak marinade. The acid from the lime juice is great for creating a tender cooked steak!
- Tortillas and toppings – lastly, we loaded up a tortilla with steak and veggies and top it with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and cilantro. The toppings really take this camp dinner to the next level!
get my free
Camp Cooking Starter Kit
Printable camping recipes, a gear checklist, and a camping meal planner so you can go camping with confidence and good food!
Grilled Steak Fajitas
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 1oz packet fajita seasoning (about 4 Tbsp)
- juice from 1 large lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus more for the veggies)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow or red onion
- 6 flour tortillas
- cilantro (for serving)
- sour cream (for serving)
- sharp cheddar cheese (for serving)
- Marinate the steak: Place the steak in a resealable bag. In a bowl, mix about 1/2 the packet of fajita seasoning, lime juice, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Pour the marinade over the meat and make sure it completely coats the steak. Marinate in the fridge or cooler for at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours.* I prefer to do this step at home.
- Slice the peppers into strips. Slice the onion. In a bowl, mix the peppers and onions with a drizzle of olive oil and the remaining fajita seasoning.
- Cook the veggies in a cast iron pan over a flame.** Mix frequently until they become slightly charred and tender, but not mushy. Depending on your fire, this should take around 5-10 minutes. You might need to do this in two batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Once the veggies are done, remove them from the heat. They should stay warm for a while in the cast iron pan while you cook the steak.
- Cook the steak on the grill over high heat for about 5 minutes on each side until medium-rare or medium. Remove the steak from the heat and let it rest on a cutting board.
- Lastly, heat your tortillas on the grill and prepare the cilantro, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
- Slice the steak into thin strips. Assemble the tortillas with steak, veggies, and all the toppings. Enjoy!
More Easy Camping Dinners
Don’t stop here! I know you’ll love these other camping dinners too:
Have you tried this dinner? Come back and leave me a review in the comments!