This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclaimer here.
This is one of my go-to camping dinner ideas! Not only is it absolutely delicious, but it also cooks in one-pot and is ready in 30 minutes. What more do you need for a camping meal, right? Let’s dive into the recipe!
This camping dinner packs so much flavor with very few ingredients.
Here’s all you’ll need:
- Zatarain’s One-Pot Jambalaya Rice mix – This is what makes this meal so flavorful and easy. Using this box of pre-mixed rice and spices means you don’t need to pack tons of different spices to camp. Easy!
- green bell pepper and white onion – these veggies add some additional flavor and texture to this rice dish
- diced fire-roasted tomatoes – One 15 oz can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes adds a deeper roasted flavor that works perfectly!
- pre-cooked chicken sausage – Pre-cooked chicken sausage is such an easy way to add some protein into this dish without having to pack or handle raw meat at camp. For a vegetarian camp dinner, you can just leave the sausage out, or add in some cubed firm tofu or 1 cup of canned chickpeas.
- olive oil – Lastly, you’ll need a little oil to cook the sausage in. I prefer olive oil or avocado oil and I store the oil in these leak-proof travel containers.
Camp Kitchen Gear Spotlight
Again, this dinner needs minimal camp kitchen gear! Here are the main things you’ll need:
Camp Stove & Fuel
This dinner is cooked in a pot over a camp stove. I have the Camp Chef Everest stove and I love it! Don’t forget the propane.
Pot with a Lid
I have this GSI enamel 2-quart pot. It doesn’t come with a lid, but I used a plate to cover it while the rice simmered.
Ideally, you want at least a 2-quart pot with a lid. As you can see in the photos, this dish barely fits in the 2-quart pot, so if you have something bigger, go with that.
Bowls and Flatware
The camping bowls I have are enamelware from Barebones Living. They come in a few different colors and they’re great for camping!
One-Pot Sausage Jambalaya
- 1 8 oz box of Zatarain’s Jambalaya Rice Mix
- 3 chicken sausage links (Cajun or Italian flavor, sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups water
- Dice the bell pepper and onion and slice the sausage.
- Heat a large pot over a medium heat and add the oil, followed by the sausage.
- Cook the sausage for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Add in the onion and peppers. Saute for a few minutes.
- Lastly, add in the jambalaya rice mix, tomatoes and their juices, and the water. Give everything a mix and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes. Once the rice is done, mix and serve!
How to Make Jambalaya while Camping
Dice the bell pepper and onion and slice the sausage. Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the oil, followed by the sausage.
Cook the sausage for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Add in the onion and peppers. Saute for a few minutes.
Lastly, add in the jambalaya rice mix, tomatoes and their juices, and the water.
Give everything a mix and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer.
Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Once the rice is done, mix and serve!
get my free
Camp Cooking Starter Kit
Printable camping recipes, a gear checklist, and a camping meal planner so you can go camping with confidence and good food!
Get even more camping meal ideas!
If you loved this dinner idea, make sure to check out some other easy camping meals from the blog.
Below are tried and true reader favorites:
Love this recipe? Leave a review below!