This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclaimer here.
If you have camping plans this Fall, then you have to try this easy sausage and tortellini in a pumpkin cream sauce! It’s the perfect Fall camping dinner for a chilly night outdoors. Did I mention that it only requires one pot? Let’s dive in!
The Fall is my favorite time of year to go camping. The changing leaves, the crisp cool air, and of course, all the fall-inspired meals.
When mid-September hits, it’s all about apples and pumpkins and I’m here for it!
Since I love camping in the Fall, I wanted to make a seasonal camping dinner using pumpkin.
When it comes to camping meals, I always want my recipes to be easy to prepare at camp. That usually means fewer ingredients, steps, and dirty dishes.
This one-pot sausage and tortellini in a pumpkin cream sauce is outstanding. And I don’t use that word lightly.
The best part? It’s all made in one pot over a basic camp stove and ready in under 30 minutes.
How to Make Tortellini with Pumpkin Cream Sauce
This recipe is seriously so easy. All you’ll need is a basic camp stove, a large pot, and a mixing spoon or spatula.
Start by getting all of your ingredients ready to go. Chop the shallot, garlic, and herbs.
Get all the other ingredients laid out on the table so you’re not running all over the place when it comes time to cook. This is one of my biggest camp cooking tips.
Now we’re ready to cook!
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the butter followed by the shallots. Cook for a minute or two until they become translucent.
Next, add in the sausage and let it cook while mixing and breaking it apart in the pan until it’s browned.
Then, mix in the garlic and herbs and cook for about 1 minute mixing frequently. It should smell so good at this point!
Add in the broth and pumpkin puree. Mix well and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes until it thickens up a little bit. Make sure to mix frequently so it doesn’t burn on the bottom!
Lastly, mix in the heavy whipping cream followed by the tortellini. Cook for a few more minutes until the tortellini is hot throughout.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
RELATED >> Try my Apple, Cranberry, and Pumpkin Seed Fall Salad to go along with this meal!
Sausage and Tortellini with Pumpkin Cream Sauce
- large cooking pot
- Can opener (to open the pumpkin puree)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 4 fresh sage leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 18 oz cheese tortellini (refrigerated, not frozen)
- sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese (for serving)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the butter.
- Mix in the shallots and cook for a minute or two until they become translucent.
- Next, add in the sausage and let it cook while mixing and breaking it apart in the pan until it’s browned and fully cooked.
- Mix in the garlic and herbs and cook for about 1 minute mixing frequently.
- Add the broth and pumpkin puree. Mix well and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook the sauce for a few minutes. Make sure to mix frequently so it doesn’t burn on the bottom.
- Lastly, mix in the heavy whipping cream followed by the tortellini. (You can add more broth or water if needed.) Simmer for about 5-10 minutes mixing frequently until the tortellini is cooked and hot throughout.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Looking for more camping meals?
Check out some of my other popular recipes below: