This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclaimer here.
The first time I made these basil pesto cheeseburgers, I could not stop thinking about them. They are that good. While a grilled burger is always delicious, the simple pesto sauce we make in this recipe takes this camping dinner to a whole new level! Let’s dive into the recipe.
When I think of easy camping dinners, hamburgers and hot dogs always come to mind. And while the classics are classic for a reason, this basil pesto burger is almost no additional work, for a whole lot of extra flavor!
These basil pesto burgers are:
- ready in under 30 minutes
- great for a large group of campers (just scale the recipe up!)
- packed with summertime flavor
Here’s what you’ll need:
Basil Pesto – You can use store-bought pesto or make your own pesto. I love to make my own with fresh basil in the summertime.
- Traditionally, pine nuts are used in pesto, but pine nuts are very expensive. Instead, try using pistachios!
- I know it sounds odd, but I tried this on a whim one day because all I had were pistachios, and the pesto turned out incredible! And pistachios are a little cheaper than pine nuts.
Mayonnaise – I like to use avocado oil based mayonnaise for this recipe, but any mayo you have on hand will work.
Ground Beef – I prefer 80/20 beef for my burgers because the fat keeps the burgers juicy and adds so much flavor.
Toppings – The toppings on this burger recipe are sliced tomatoes and a ripe avocado! Everything is assembled on a light brioche bun that soaks up all the flavors and juices from the burger.
Basil Pesto Cheeseburgers
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large avocado
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- sea salt
- Mix together the basil pesto and the mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside.
- Form the beef into 4 patties and sprinkle with sea salt. Grill the burgers for 5-8 minutes on each side, or until they’re cooked. Toward the end of cooking, add the sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Slice the tomato and avocado.
- To assemble, spread a spoonful of the pesto mix onto the bun and top with the cheeseburger. Add sliced tomato and avocado, followed by another drizzle of the basil pesto sauce. Serve and enjoy!
get my free
Camp Cooking Starter Kit
Printable camping recipes, a gear checklist, and a camping meal planner so you can go camping with confidence and good food!
What to serve with these basil pesto burgers?
Honestly, these burgers are so delicious and filling on their own, that they don’t really need anything else. But if you do want to serve a side, my favorite is grilled corn.
The way I prefer to grill corn is to keep the corn in the husks and soak it for at least 5 to 10 minutes. Then place the corn on the grill (still in the husks) and grill for 15-20 minutes rotating frequently.
The heat will steam the corn on the inside.
Once done, remove from the heat and carefully remove the husks. It will be steamy and hot, so you might need to let them cool first. Smear the corn with butter and sprinkle with sea salt!
More Easy Camping Recipes to Try:
I have so many easy camping dinners on the blog. Here are some of the other reader favorites to try next!