Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclaimer here.
This summer camping dessert is so simple and delicious! Fresh summer strawberries, fluffy angel food cake, whipped cream, and almonds make a perfect grilled strawberry shortcake. Did I mention that you can have this ready in just a few minutes? Let’s dive in!
This dessert takes me back to my childhood. My mom used to make a version of this for dessert in the summer.
My version gets a fun twist by grilling the strawberries and a crunchy element from the almonds. So good! Not only is this dessert quick and easy, but it also doesn’t require a lot of camp kitchen gear.
Camp Kitchen Tools You’ll Need:
1) Grill Grate:
I always like to bring my own grill grate when I’m camping because the ones provided at campgrounds are usually pretty gross.
We’re going to grill the strawberries on kabob skewers so they’re easy to move around on the grill. If you’re using bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them in water before use so they don’t burn.
3) Heat-resistant gloves:
I use heat-resistant gloves to protect my hands from the fire. Metal tongs would also be nice to lift the strawberry skewers off the fire.
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients
You only need 4 ingredients for this camping dessert:
- Angel Food Cake – You can make this at home and pack it for camping, or simply buy it at the store. I usually buy the mini bunt cake shapes at the grocery store, but this also works with slices of angel food cake.
- Fresh Strawberries – Strawberries are in season in the summer months and they’re so sweet and delicious around this time. They don’t need long on the grill, but if you want to make this a no-cook camping dessert, you can skip the grilling step.
- Whipped Cream – Store the whipped cream in the cooler until you’re ready to assemble.
- Sliced almonds – Lastly, we top this dessert with some sliced almonds for a nice crunchy element.
How to Grill Strawberries
Grilling strawberries is really quick and simple. They don’t need long.
- Cut the stems of the stop of the strawberries. I prefer to clean and cut the tops off at home to save myself a step at camp.
- You can leave the strawberries whole or slice large ones in half. Put them on skewers so you can easily move them around on the grill.
- Place them on the grill over a moderate fire. You don’t need large flames consistently reaching the strawberries, so adjust the fire or move the skewers as needed.
- Grill for a few minutes on each side then remove them from the grill and assemble the rest of the dessert.
get my free
Camp Cooking Starter Kit
Printable camping recipes, a gear checklist, and a camping meal planner so you can go camping with confidence and good food!
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
- 4 mini angel food cakes*
- 16 oz fresh strawberries
- whipped cream
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Cut the stems off the strawberries. Cut the large ones in half and place them onto skewers. If using bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them in water before use.
- Place the strawberry skewers over a medium flame on the grill. You don’t want the fire to be too hot with large flames consistently hitting the strawberries. Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the strawberries from the grill and begin assembling. Start with a piece of angel food cake and fill it with some whipped cream.
- Cut the bigger strawberries into bite-sized slices and place them on top of the whipped cream.
- Dollop with a little more whipped cream and a sprinkle of sliced almonds! Serve and enjoy immediately!
More Easy Camping Desserts
There are SO many easy camping desserts on the blog for you to try!
Check out some of the other ideas below:
- Grilled Peaches with Honey Bourbon Cream
- Sweet & Salty Pretzel S’mores
- Summer Berry Pound Cake Foil Packets
If you liked this recipe, make sure to come back and leave me a review. Enjoy!